- Media Centre
- Media releases
- Contact the Media Office
- Find an expert
- AVA in the news
- Hot topics
- News articles
- Media Centre
- For the public
- About pets
- About horses and farm animals
- Becoming a veterinarian
- Find A Vet
- Pets and People Education Program
- What to expect when you visit the vet
- Laws and regulations
- Animals and natural disasters
- Why be a member?
- My membership
- Our community
- Member benefits
- CPD info
- VetEd approval
- Australian Veterinary Journal
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Technical information
- Practice Management
- About us
- Our offices
- Annual Conference
- Who we are
- My AVA group
- Special interest groups
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Conservation Biology
- Education, Research and Academia
- Public Health
- Unusual Pets and Avian Veterinarians
- Divisions and branches
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
- Policy and positions
- Policy Advisory Council
- Five strategic priorities
- Companion animals
- Emergency animal diseases
- Natural disasters
- Product recalls and withdrawals
- Quarantine and biosecurity
- Veterinary medicines
- Trusts and foundations
- Corporate supporters
- Contact us
About our website
Welcome to the website of the Australian Veterinary Association!
The site brings together a wealth of information about the veterinary profession, the association's activities around Australia, and animal health and welfare. There are sections designed especially for the public and the media.
You might also like to search the site by typing a keyword in the search box at the top right of each page, or visit the site map.
We hope you find what you're looking for. If not, we welcome questions and feedback.
What would you like to do?
- Find information
- Log in as a member
- Create an account
- Sign up for Find-a-vet
- Use the discussion forums
- Learn about committee workspaces
- Add an event to the calendar
- Create a classifieds ad
- Advertise on this site
- Purchase a product
- Join the AVA
- Renew your membership
- Update your membership details
- Select what communication you receive from the AVA
The quickest way to find information on the site is to type a keyword in the search box at the top right of each page.
When you click 'search', the results will be automatically sorted by relevance to your keyword. You can select from the list on the left hand side to only view the results by content type (such as media release, policy or news article for example) or by date.
Some content on our site is available to members only who need to log in to access it.
You might also like to visit the site map for an overview of all the content pages on the website.
You can log in using your AVA member username and password at the top right of each page. When you're logged in, the login box is replaced with 'Welcome' and your name.
If you've forgotten your details, you can request a new password by email. Alternatively you can contact the AVA on 1300 137 309 during business hours for help.
People who aren't members can use some of the features of the site like uploading events to the calendar, placing a classified advertisement or purchasing selected merchandise from the website shop. To do this, you'll need to create an account and give us some of your details to receive a username and password for the AVA website.
Please note that this won't allow you access to content that is for members only, but you can sign up to receive certain communication from the AVA by clicking on Manage profile at the top right of the page when you're logged in. The communications section will list a couple of options to choose from.
The site's Find-a-vet feature is free for AVA members. If you would like your practice listed, contact the AVA on 1300 137 309 or send us a message to let us know.
You need to be logged in as a member to use our discussion forums. The forums are not available to non-members.
View the training video for a quick demonstration of how to use the discussion forums. You can see a larger version of this video by clicking on the full screen box at the bottom right of the video window.
Each AVA committee has its own secure online workspace where they can discuss issues, work on documents together, and plan and manage projects.
View the training video for a demonstration of the committee workspace functions.
- You need to be either logged in as a member or as a website user to add an event to the calendar.
- You can find a button to Add an event on both the home page and the events page.
- Complete the requested information and click on Submit.
- An AVA staff member will check the info you have submitted and publish the event to the website within two working days.
You can create and pay for classifed advertising online. You can choose to advertise just on our website on in the next issue of the Australian Veterinary Journal (AVJ) as well. Information about costs and options are on the Classifieds page.
- You need to be either logged in as a member or as a website user to create a classifieds ad.
- You can find a button to Submit classifieds on the Search classifieds page.
- Complete the requested information for your ad and your payment and click on Submit.
- Your ad will appear on the website as soon as the payment is processed.
- If you have requested publication in the AVJ, your ad will appear in the next issue.
The AVA accepts paid advertising on this site. Contact Ebony Cameron at the AVA on 02 9431 5000 or via email to find out more info.
You can apply and pay for AVA membership online - just follow the prompts in the online form. You will be notified within 10 working days about the result of your application.
You can nominate which parts of the AVA you want to receive communication from by checking and unchecking the boxes in the communications section. You will only receive communication from those groups you belong to and where the relevant boxes are checked.
Non-members can also request selected communication from the AVA by creating an account, logging in, and selecting the options in the communications section.
If you have any problems or questions, contact the AVA via email or on 1300 137 309 during business hours.