Once a student pays to become an AVA student member, they become insured with Guild Insurance with two of their master policies. Online student members aren’t covered by the policies unless they upgrade to paying membership.
This policy covers the AVA student member for up to a total of $10 million for bodily injury or damage to the property of others or $25,000 for injury to animals. The policy covers the member for:
- Breach of professional duty;
- Advice, libel and slander; and
- Goods sold and/or supplied.
This policy covers the AVA student member in the event of bodily or physical injury caused by:
- Loss of parts of the body or faculties, or
- Loss of use of parts of the body or faculties.
The injury must be accidental and not a sickness or a repetitive strain injury. "Injury" means bodily injury or physical injury.
The AVA student member will be paid the Capital Benefit (expressed as a percentage of the Capital Sum shown in the Table of Benefits) for the Event shown in the Table of Benefits, provided that:
- the loss of the use of parts of the body or faculties occurs within 12 calendar months of injury, and
- only one Capital Benefit shall be payable for any one injury. The Capital Sum provided under this master policy is $20,000.
Insurance through the university covers you for the practical work you do as part of your course, but your AVA insurance also covers you for any extra prac work or volunteering. Many AVA members know that student members have this insurance, so finding prac work placement is that much easier.
For further information on this policy, contact Guild Insurance directly on 1800 810 213.