- Media Centre
- Media releases
- Contact the Media Office
- Find an expert
- AVA in the news
- Hot topics
- News articles
- Media Centre
- For the public
- About pets
- About horses and farm animals
- Becoming a veterinarian
- Pets and People Education Program
- What to expect when you visit the vet
- Laws and regulations
- Animals and natural disasters
- Why be a member?
- My membership
- Our community
- Member benefits
- CPD info
- Centre for Professional Success
- Australian Veterinary Journal
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Technical information
- Practice Management
- About us
- Our offices
- Annual Conference
- Who we are
- My AVA group
- Special interest groups
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Conservation Biologists
- Education, Research and Academia
- Public Health
- Unusual Pets and Avian Veterinarians
- Divisions and branches
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
- Policy and positions
- Policy Advisory Council
- Animal welfare
- Companion animals
- Emergency animal diseases
- Natural disasters
- Product recalls and withdrawals
- Quarantine and biosecurity
- Veterinary medicines
- Veterinary workforce
- Trusts and foundations
- Corporate supporters
- Contact us
Polite Pets Month
March 2014 promises to be the biggest Polite Pets Month yet. The bar keeps rising as we embark on our third Polite Pets Month.
Registration for practice packs has now closed. You can still download the fact sheets for your practice below though!
Polite Pets Month is about raising awareness in the community about behavioural issues in pets.
In 2014 we’re focusing on phobias and anxiety disorders and are promoting the notion that ‘mental health is important for pets’. Anxiety disorders and phobias can be extremely frustrating for owners and can cause distress in pets that leads to soiling around the home, aggression and destruction.
Webinar 1 (12 February 2014) - anxiety, fear and phobias
This webinar was aimed towards veterinary nurses, ancillary staff and trainers.
Webinar 2 (19 February 2014) - anxiety, fear and phobias
This webinar was aimed towards veterinarians and the recording is available for AVA members only.
These have been created for pet owners to help them better understand particular behavioural issues in their pets.
Anxiety, fear and phobias fact sheets:
- Anxiety, fear and phobias in cats
- Anxiety, fear and phobias in dogs
- Anxiety, fear and phobias in birds
Fact sheets from previous Polite Pets Months:
- Does your cat have toileting problems?
- Why does my dog bark?
- Creating an enriching environment for your pet
- Debunking dominance in dogs
- Managing anxiety and phobias in dogs
- Ten top tips for training dogs
- Preventing dog bites
- Creating a courteous cat
- Teach your bird to be on its best behaviour
- The truth about cats and dogs
Our PPM 2014 animated video focuses on recognising and treating anxiety, fear and phobias in dogs, cats and pet birds. We hope you enjoy it.
In 2013, we filmed 2 videos designed to inform or remind the community that their vet can help with a pet's behavioural issues. These videos focused on the 2013 theme:
More detailed information
Polite Pets Month Foundation Sponsors
The AVA would like to thank our Polite Pets Month Foundation Sponsors: