Graduate Mentoring Program
The AVA Graduate Mentoring Program connects experienced veterinarians with new graduates so that they can receive one-on-one advice and support as they transition into the profession. The program is structured over a 12 month period, and participation is voluntary.
The program will provide you with:
- Guidance for your career and professional development in the veterinary profession, from someone with a wealth of experience
- An opportunity to reflect on professional challenges and opportunities
- Satisfaction from helping others and contributing to the veterinary profession
- A chance to develop your mentoring and leadership skills
Whether you're a mentor or a mentee, you'll find mentoring a rewarding part of your experience as an AVA member.
How does the AVA Graduate Mentoring Program work?
- To join as a mentee, you must be in your final year of veterinary study, about to commence work. In addition to this, AVA graduate members in their 2nd, 3rd or the 4th year out, are also invited to apply.
- To join as a mentor, you must have at least three years’ experience in the profession, and be an AVA member. You can apply at any time, and if you've previusly applied and been accepted into the program, you are not required to resubmit your application.
Both mentees and mentors must also be willing to attend program events, webinars and complete the training provided.
Mentees and mentors will be asked to complete an online application in which you can indicate what you are looking for in a mentoring partner, your background, and interests.
This will determine how you are matched with a partner. You will be informed by email if you have been successfully matched. We endeavour to match all those that apply but this is not always possible.
If you would like to apply as a mentor, you can contact us to do this at any time. Mentors who have previously applied and been accepted into the AVA Graduate Mentoring Program are not required to resubmit their application.
Missed the application deadline?
Contact us on 1300 137 309 or by our via our contact us page.