Invitation to Apply for Tony English Award
Tony English was pivotal in establishing AVCB in 1991 and was a driving force behind its activities until his death in 2015. At the AVCB General Meeting 2018 it was proposed by Andrew Tribe that in recognition of Tony’s contribution a Tony English Award should be established. The Executive Committee of AVCB together with Tony’s family are pleased to offer this award.
Veterinary students in any year of their veterinary studies. They are not required to be student members of AVCB or AVA.
The award will be assessed by “the panel” on the basis of an essay, innovative idea, proposal or media project which relates to conservation in any of its forms as outlined in our Mission Statement. This includes conservation health and welfare, endangered species, sustainable utilisation of wildlife, import and export control, and education and communication.
An essay, idea or media project would be approximately 2000 words or 10 minutes duration and could:
- relate to experiences or studies undertaken by the student
- present interesting and important information relevant to conservation
- be printed in the AVCB newsletter, website and may be considered for other AVA publication
- relate to a novel and valuable idea which could benefit wildlife or conservation or student education in wildlife & conservation
- would be presented as a Poster or media presentation at the AVA Conference AVCB stream or published in proceedings, vet voice or other media
Copyright and Promotion
It is a condition of the award that the essay, proposal or media project can be used without fee within the AVA/AVCB to promote, educate or advance the AVA’s interests and those of conservation biology and wildlife.
Two years new graduate membership of AVA & AVCB. This will be available in the first two years following graduation. Value $934 being $395 AVA Graduate Member plus AVCB Membership $72 per year each year for two years.
First Call – Scheduled Date August 2019 – included in AVA Newsletter 29 September, 2019; Reminder scheduled September, 2019 but sent to AVA National 8 October, 2019; Final December, 2019.
Closing Date for Entries
30 January 2020
Panel Consideration of Entries
Announcement of Successful Entrant
Award presented at the AVA Annual Conference, May 2020.
If you have any queries regarding the format of your submission please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.