Joint Injection and Nerve Block Wetlab
Earn up to 9 CPD points.
Kindly sponsored by
Dr Hadley Willsallen BVSc, MANZCVSc, DACVS-LA Registered Specialist in Equine Surgery, this excellent wetlab will be presented by a range of specialist demonstrators.
Sunday 17 July, 9.00am - 4.30pm University of Melbourne, Parkville Victoria. Campus Equipment provided.
- Equine nerve block and joint injection technique descriptions, interpretation, misinterpretation, and what can go wrong?
- Perineural and joint injections of the fore and hindlimbs
- Now I can put a needle in it, what medication should I use?
- Diagnosis of wound communication with synovial structures and/or septic synovial cavities and how to manage in the field with lavage techniques and local antimicrobials.
Attendees will refresh and review perineural and intrasynovial diagnostic anaesthesia of the limb including considerations when deciding on what technique and local anaesthetic agent or intra-articular medication to use.
The wetlab will be very hands-on, working in pairs with a cadaver fore and hindlimb. There will be a high ratio of circulating specialists to allow plenty of opportunity to practice and master the injections and review anatomy. Synovial communication with wounds, identifying septic joints and lavage techniques in the field will be practiced. Collaborative and open discussions between instructors and attendees on clinical experiences and preferences will be encouraged.
EVA Members: $995 AVA Members: $1,345 Non-Members: $2,295
Price includes GST
Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea included. Places are limited
Commence at 9AM
9:00-9:45 Orientation and lecture
Joint and nerve blocks technique descriptions, interpretation, misinterpretation and what can go wrong Dr Nick Kannegieter
10:00-12:00 Forelimb perineural and joint injections every 30 mins presentation of next blocks Dr Hadley Willsallen
* PD, Abaxial, low 4 point, high 4 point, local infiltration proximal suspensory, wheat block, median & ulnar
* DIPJ, NB, PIPJ, DFTS, fetlock, middle and radiocarpal joints
12:45- 1:45 Lecture and Panel Discussion
Diagnosis/treatment of septic synovial structure in the field Dr Hadley Willsallen
Panel Discussion; What to medicate joints with? Outline Dr Albert Sole Guitart
2:00-4:00 Hindlimb perineural and joint injections
* PD, abaxial, low 6 point, deep branch of the plantar lateral nerve, tibial peroneal
* DIPJ, NB, PIPJ, DFTS, fetlock, TMTJ,+/- DITJ, tibiotarsal joint, +/-tarsal sheath/calcaneal bursa