Rescheduling of medications - Lidocaine29 Sep 2021
The Therapeutics Goods Administration (TGA) recently made an interim decision to expand the current Schedule 5 entry for lidocaine, to include specifically targeted injectable solutions, at up to 2% concentration, for the pain relief of lambs or calves undergoing animal husbandry procedures.
The AVA made a submission opposing this, which was submitted in January 2021 when submissions were first due. A second submission opposing the interim decision was made in August 2021. We have been informed that this decision will stand.
Given this decision, we have formed a working group involving a number of subject matter experts and special interest groups and we will continue to oppose this decision.
We are asking all members of the profession to consider writing to the Minister for Health, Hon. Mr Greg Hunt MP to register your concern around the rescheduling of this drug. This template link contains the public health concerns the AVA has, and you may wish to use this as the basis for your letter to the Minister for Health as well as your relevant local State Minister:
- ACT Minister for Health - Hon. Rachel Stephen-Smith MLA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NSW Minister for Health and Research - Hon. Brad Hazzard MP (email@example.com)
- NT Minister for Health - Hon. Natasha Fyles MP (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- QLD Minister for Health and Ambulance Services - Hon. Yvette D’Ath MP (email@example.com)
- SA Minister for Health - Hon. Stephen Wade MLC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TAS Minister for Health - Hon. Jeremy Rockliff MP (email@example.com)
- VIC Minister f0r Health - Hon. Martin Foley MP (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- WA Minister for Health - Hon. Roger Cook MLA (Minister.Cook@dpc.wa.gov.au)