Meeting with the Office of the Australian Chief Veterinary Officer10 Nov 2023
Top L-R: Dr Beth Cookson (Deputy CVO), Dr David Andrews (AVA CEO)
Bottom L-R: Dr Mark Schipp (CVO), Dr Cristy Secombe (AVA Head of Veterinary Policy and Advocacy), Dr Diana Barker (AVA President), [inset] Dr Gary He (Veterinary Officer)
The AVA meets with Australia’s Chief Veterinary Officer (CVO) on a biannual basis to discuss issues of mutual interest. This month AVA President Dr Diana Barker and AVA representatives met with Dr Mark Schipp, Australia’s outgoing CVO and members of his team. Topics for discussion included:
- The government response to recommendation 25 of the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee inquiry into the adequacy of Australia’s biosecurity measures and response preparedness, particularly with respect to foot-and-mouth disease. The response included mention of recent engagement with the Department of Education who are monitoring the efficacy of the higher education loan program debt measures for teachers, nurses and doctors. We discussed AVA’s ongoing work regarding advocacy for educational fee relief.
- The recent NSW Government Inquiry into the veterinary workforce shortage and next steps that may occur as a result of the inquiry.
- EAD preparedness activities that the AVA is contributing to at both a federal and state level.
- The planning of the Australian CDC and the role of One Health.
- The Australian animal welfare strategy.
- AVA advocacy around animal management in disasters with particular reference to veterinary care.
The AVA thanked Dr Schipp for his contribution to our community through his role as CVO and wished him the very best for the next chapter of his life journey.