Neptra, a great first-line choice01 Sep 2023
NeptraTM is a revolutionary canine otitis externa (OE) medication offering convenience and compliance in just one dose. It contains 3 key ingredients within an effective, single-dose formulation for acute canine otitis externa cases involving gram-positive bacteria Staphylococcus pseudintermedius and Streptococcus canis and yeast, Malassezia pachydermatis. These are the most common pathogens seen in acute canine otitis externa, accounting for 70-90% of cases1. Neptra’s unique ingredients include the anti-fungal terbinafine hydrochloride, a potent but softer glucocorticoid mometasone fuorate and the antibacterial, florfenicol in a long-acting treatment combination. It’s been used by vets globally for over 6 years.
Florfenicol is an antibiotic in the amphenicol class and is registered exclusively for veterinary use, as a first-line2 antibiotic, recommended by the BSAVA3 for the treatment of gram-positive bacterial otitis externa in dogs. This means that the day-to-day use of Neptra for common canine OE cases constitutes good antibiotic stewardship by selecting a niche antibiotic to treat cocci, according to cytological findings from infected ear-samples.
Neptra’s liquid consistency allows rapid and even distribution within the dog’s external ear canal providing fast relief from inflammation and pruritis and clinical improvement in 58%4 of cases by day 7, with 87% of cases demonstrating treatment success by day 28. Also, by providing a single dose and no ear cleaning for 30 days, using Neptra allows the pet owner avoid the stress of administering potentially painful ear drops daily – leaving them free to maintain their bond with their pet.
According to a recent market survey5 conducted by Elanco in Canada, France and the UK, veterinarians reported a 98% satisfaction rate with Neptra, with 96% of them saying they would recommend it to other vets! The obvious benefit and convenience that the single-dose, vet-administered treatment offers, puts the power of managing acute canine OE cases in the veterinarian’s hands.
Neptra also allows you to arrange follow-up checks arranged to suit you and your client’s schedules, and its long shelf life and means there’s no need for refrigeration.
With its high degree of efficacy and the convenience and compliance it offers, it’s easy to see why there’s been such a rapid uptake of Neptra locally and in other countries, which has solidified its position as a first-choice treatment of acute canine otitis externa. Have you tried it?
- Malayeri, HZ, Identification and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of bacteria causing otitis externa in dogs. Veterinary Research Communications 2010 435
- Paterson S, 2018. "The use of antibiotics and antimycotics in otitis." Companion Animal. 23(11): 608-613
- BSAVA = British Small Animal Veterinary Association & Small Animal Medicine Society: BSAVA/SAMSoc Guide to Responsible Use of Antibacterials: PROTECT ME
- Treatment success is defined by a reduction in total clinical score of ≥3 on monitored criteria. Mensinger, S. An easier way to manage otitis externa (OE): Efficacy and safety of a new combination of florfenicol, terbinafine and mometasone furoate (Neptra®) in a randomised positive-controlled trial. BSAVA congress proceedings 2020
- Industry survey of 225 companion animal vets. Elanco market research, March 2022
Neptra is not recommended in cases with rod-shaped bacteria present on cytology sample, as these may represent Pseudomonas aeruginosa. C & S testing should be performed when appropriate to determine the identity and susceptibility of the causative organism(s). Read and follow label instructions. © 2022 Elanco or its affiliates. Neptra is a trademark of Elanco or its affiliates. For further information contact: 1800 995 709 from anywhere in Australia Monday to Friday or email email@example.com.