We understand the stresses that new graduates face in the transition to our profession. As an AVA member, you have instant access to all the networks you need, including online resources, HR advisers and mentoring programs.
The AVA makes a world of difference when kicking off your successful veterinary career.
My new career hub
We have an online hub on our website specifically for you where you can find all the information you need to successfully begin your veterinary career, from getting your first job to staying happy and healthy, and advice on how to get ahead.
Your first year in the workforce can be quite daunting. There will be challenges, but remember, many people have been where you are now and will be willing to help you settle in.
Your new employer needs you in their team and will be keen to help wherever they can, and the AVA has a range of resources and special benefits to help give you a great start to your new career.
AVA Graduate Mentoring Program
A great program is you would like:
- Guidance for your career and professional development in the veterinary profession, from someone with a wealth of experience
- An opportunity to reflect on professional challenges and opportunities
- A chance to develop your interpersonal skills and veterinary knowledge
The AVA graduate mentoring program connects experienced veterinarians with new graduates so you can receive one-on-one advice and support as you transition into the profession. The program is structured over a 12-month period, and participation is voluntary.
To join as a mentee, you must be in your final year of veterinary study, about to commence work. In addition to this, AVA graduate members in their 2nd, 3rd or the 4th year out, are also invited to apply.
We support you with the tools and resources you need.
- Regular continuing professional development opportunities
- Access to thousands of professional resources
- Ongoing support throughout the stages of your veterinary career