- Media Centre
- Media releases
- Contact the Media Office
- Find an expert
- AVA in the news
- Hot topics
- News articles
- Media Centre
- For the public
- About pets
- About horses and farm animals
- Becoming a veterinarian
- Find A Vet
- Pets and People Education Program
- What to expect when you visit the vet
- Laws and regulations
- Animals and natural disasters
- Why be a member?
- My membership
- Our community
- Member benefits
- CPD info
- VetEd approval
- Australian Veterinary Journal
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Technical information
- Practice Management
- About us
- Our offices
- Annual Conference
- Who we are
- My AVA group
- Special interest groups
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Conservation Biology
- Education, Research and Academia
- Public Health
- Unusual Pets and Avian Veterinarians
- Divisions and branches
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
- Policy and positions
- Policy Advisory Council
- Five strategic priorities
- Companion animals
- Emergency animal diseases
- Natural disasters
- Product recalls and withdrawals
- Quarantine and biosecurity
- Veterinary medicines
- Trusts and foundations
- Corporate supporters
- Contact us
Graduate Mentoring Program
Would you like:
- Guidance for your career and professional development in the veterinary profession, from someone with a wealth of experience?
- An opportunity to reflect on professional challenges and opportunities?
- Satisfaction from helping others and contributing to the veterinary profession?
- A chance to develop your mentoring and leadership skills?
The AVA Graduate Mentoring Program supports graduate vets to transition into the profession smoothly, to support them to reach their potential and to be happy in their jobs. Whether you're a mentor or a mentee, you'll find mentoring a rewarding part of your experience as an AVA member.
- To join as a mentee, you must have completed your veterinary study, be working or about to commence work.
- To join as a mentor, you must have at least three years’ experience in the profession, and be an AVA member.
Both mentees and mentors must also be willing to attend program events, webinars and complete the training provided.
Here’s what some participants had to say about this program:
Village Vets talk about the AVA Mentoring Program
Village Vets talk about transitioning to practice
The AVA Graduate Mentoring Program is a 12 month program which is available to all first year graduates.
Mentees and mentors will be asked to complete an online application in which you can indicate what you are looking for in a mentoring partner, your background and interests. This will determine how you are matched with a partner. You will be informed by email if you have been successfully matched. We endeavour to match all those that apply but this is not always possible.
|Charles Sturt University (CSU)
University of Sydney
University of Melbourne
University of Queensland
University of Adelaide
James Cook University
|Applications Open||15 May 2017||14 August 2017|
|Applications Close||12 June 2017||30 September 2017|
|Program launch and training||03 July 2017||02 October 2017|
|Mentor/mentee training events from:||*10 July 2017||*09 October 2017|
|Mid-program review meetings from:||*20 November 2017||*26 February 2018|
|Program close||30 June 2018||30 September 2018|
Applications open 15 May 2017
Applications open 14 August 2017
*Applications have closed for our October 2016 intake, however, if you wish to participate please contact Monika Cole on 02 9431 5092 or email email@example.com
Mentors who have previously applied and been accepted into the AVA Graduate Mentoring Program are not required to resubmit their application.
*Training and program review dates may vary from this schedule
*If you have missed the application deadline, please contact Monika Cole 02 9431 5092 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is supported by the AVA and our kind sponsors and as such is free for mentees and mentors.
If you wish to be a part of this very important AVA initiative, please contact our program manager, Monika Cole on 02 9431 5092 or email email@example.com.
Proudly sponsored by